Over the past few weeks I have started at least 2 blogs only to not finish them. This time I'm getting it done and I've done good.
I am so proud of myself. I finished the Army Ten-Miler in a great time for me. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I finished in 2:17:28. Actually I was shocked and my pace worked out to 13:44.8 which is only slightly more than my pace from a 10k. Although it wasn't hilly, it did have some ups and down. It had its moments, most of which I rocked. Those last few miles it got a little harder to rock.
Miles 1 through 6 went rather well with minimal stopping, mostly just for water. After the 6th mile, things got a little dicey, but I kept going. My time walking increased, but not more than my running. By the 9th mile, however, I was mostly walking, but I did manage to run the last half mile to finish with a flourish. For the first time, my afterburners did not fire. My left foot was killing me and I just didn't have the umph by then.
The best part was that Marcus and Terri were there to cheer me on. It was great seeing them as I came down the hill between the 8th and 9th mile. It provided just the right motivation as I was fading, at least for a few moments anyway. They even got a rather good picture of me running. Usually, my running pics don't look all that good. This one does and it is nice to have something other than a selfie.
If you had told me 18 months ago, when I started running, that I would complete a 10 miler, I would have laughed and swore that was impossible. I guess this means things can be possible. Those last 4 miles may not have been pretty, but I did them. Go me!
What a fabulous
day.

No comments:
Post a Comment